Thursday, March 31, 2005

With One Headlight...

That's how I've been driving lately, since poor Mr Toad lost an eye the other day. I swear, I never saw a cop in town until I was slinking home after singing, and I managed to cross paths with five! Luckily, it seems they had bigger fish to catch, or just weren't interested in Toads that night, so I made it home without having to break out the license and registration.
I knocked back a grande mocha after dinner last night, in honor of everyone's favourite Barista. It was poor substitute for flesh and bone (not that I would be knocking any of that back - just say no to cannibalism) But we were thinking of you. And with Bam temporarily out of action, the fun seems so much...shorter. With the "shorter is better" canuck off in canuckistan, that didn't do us any good... it's a good thing I had Kasey around to keep me in my place. Wherever you are in this world, I'll see you "next year in Poulsbo."
I tend to introspect, which leads me to extrospect (is that a word? it should be) and my intro/extro-spection has led me to a conclusion about people. In this world, there are those who stand at the shore of the sea, look out, and see the pretty water. Then there are those who look out at the sea, survey all of its raging beauty and power, and cannot control the wonder and longing to know what lies beyond the vanishing point, past the horizon, at the ends of the earth. Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it also brought George out of the jungle, to the Man in the Yellow Hat:) I think we are called to be not only a peculiar, but a curious people! Think beyond the surface, into the depths of creation. If you have ever tried to walk through the back of your closet into another world (and secretly believed that maybe, just maybe it would work); if you have ever wondered if there might be a real and magical Secret Garden on the other side of that old knarled fence, or searched for secret passages in your Grandma's living room, leading to who knows what adventures; if you have ever dreamt of wearing a turban or an eagle's feather, or the pith helmet of a british officer battling zulus while you were in math class, of finding deep true love that binds two spirits into one - then may I call you my friend, and fellow sojourner?
I suppose you could call me a romantic, and so I shall remain. But we are spiritual beings, isn't that all a romantic is? There is so much more to life than meets the eye, what fun to find it!

2 Comments:

At 3/31/2005 2:45 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Absolutely, Russ. As beings rendered in the image of God, we should seek out that which is beautiful and true. Indeed, I dispair that our culture has lost an appreciation for those finer, rarer reflections of beauty and truth. Yet, this reality compels me to further cultivate my life in such a way that it drinks in the profundity of Creation and yearns for the ever infinite wonder of His Eternal Kingdom.

 
At 3/31/2005 10:12 PM, Blogger Russ said...

Hmm, I looked up Extrospect-
-Constant examination of the skin because of fear of parasites or dirt- from the CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary. Hmm, not exactly what I meant, but I hope you still got the picture:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home